Find Rehabilitation Centers in Colorado
Highlights: Adolescents in Colorado
- Approximately 46,000 (11.8 percent) in Colorado used an illicit drug in the past month; 36,000 (9.3 percent) used marijuana, and 21,000 (5.5 percent) used an illicit drug other than marijuana.
- 17,000 adolescent males and 14,000 adolescent females used pain relievers nonmedically in the 12 months prior to the interview.
- 19.7 percent of adolescent males and 21.9 percent of adolescent females currently used alcohol.
- 12.9 percent of adolescent males and 10.2 percent of adolescent females engaged in binge drinking in the month prior to the interview.
- Rates of alcohol and drug dependence or abuse were similar between males and females; 19,000 males and 19,000 females abused or were dependent on alcohol or drugs in the past year
Illicit Substance Use
Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug in the United States.3 According to the
combined 2003-2006 NSDUH:
- Approximately 46,000 (11.8 percent) of the 389,000 adolescents in Colorado used an illicit drug in the past month; 36,000 (9.3 percent) used marijuana, and 21,000 (5.5 percent) used an illicit drug other than marijuana (Chart 2).
- There were no significant differences in illicit drug use between adolescent males and females in Colorado.